In this “Calm and Creative Podcast” episode, host Volta welcomes Meredith Arthur, a guiding voice for those with anxiety disorders. This episode is dedicated to discussing the intertwining of anxiety, mental health, and creativity.
- Meredith Arthur’s Insights:
- Meredith shares her journey of discovering her generalized anxiety disorder at 39, highlighting the physical manifestations like nausea and migraines.
- She talks about the creation of Beautiful Voyager, a platform for overthinkers, people pleasers, and perfectionists, which, in essence, caters to those with anxiety disorders.
- Emphasizes the importance of self-discovery post-diagnosis and encourages an experimental approach to handling one’s mental health.
- Therapy and Anxiety:
- Meredith discusses her experience with therapy, noting how conventional methods didn’t significantly aid her.
- She stresses that generalized anxiety disorder needs more than just talk therapy, suggesting that overthinkers might not benefit from traditional therapy approaches.
- Creativity and Mental Health:
- The conversation shifts to the power of creativity in healing and understanding mental health issues.
- Meredith advocates for embracing one’s gawkiness in the creative process and the importance of non-judgmental self-exploration.
- Meredith’s New Book:
- She mentions working on a new book, aiming to provide a comprehensive toolkit for people newly diagnosed with anxiety disorders or undergoing a significant mental shift.
- How We Feel App:
- Meredith introduces the “How We Feel” app, a free tool to improve emotional literacy and help people articulate and understand their emotions better.
- Personal Coping Strategies:
- She shares personal strategies like changing physical temperatures and setting boundaries in thinking patterns as methods to manage anxiety and stress.
- Advice for Creatives with Anxiety:
- Emphasizes the significance of being experimental and non-judgmental in creative pursuits.
- Suggests finding personal coping mechanisms and understanding that what works for one may not work for another.
Connect with Meredith:
Connect with Meredith on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mereditharthur/
Podcast Episode Transcript
Join the free & private facebook group for the Calm & Creative Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/804189398089705/